Friday, January 21, 2011

Candy get's a friend

When she was about 2 years old and out growing the kitchen, it was early spring so I took her outside, she had been out in our yard on and off but in a run so I could catch her, but I took a chance and let her run the yard at first she was scared of noises so she would run over to my blanket I was sitting on and check to see if I was still there then she would wonder off and explore again, during the day I would take her out and let her run, our yard was fenced so she couldn't get out, soon I was putting her out for the day and calling her early evening to come in and she would hop into the house and go to bed, was so cute, then one day I called her and she didn't come so I looked for her and couldn't see her, I was so worried didn't sleep all night till my hubby Dean says come to bed she is fine so I did, in the morning I opened the door and there she is in the middle of the yard sun tanning like she owned the yard lol, of course I gave her heck but I was also proud of her, she came into the house a few more nights then she started to stay out in the yard, she had water, food a place to go hide if she wanted to and a huge garden of treats, that's another story right there I was told she shouldn't eat some plants but that whole summer she ran the yard and ate from the garden, she left some plants alone I think instinct took over and she knew what not to eat, when it started to get colder I didn't want her to stay outside so I made up a spare room for her and put a half door so her buddy Skwert could go visit and play, I started to think about if she did stay outside next year I wanted to have her in a more secure area because the coyotes were coming closer to the house and also I was considering getting her a friend to be with so I searched the Internet for cages and runs and they were so expensive I couldn't afford them so then I thought I would make her a cage then I had to decide what materials I would use and found a web page that had home made cages made with the metal cube pieces, they are the ones that you put the cubes together with clips on the corner and use them for storage or displays, just what I was looking for. I found a company that sells the cube pieces separably for a very good price and ordered 60 pieces. Metal Cube pieces. when they arrived I went and got a huge amount of cord zips and started to build the pen. I made the pen 6 feet wide by 11 feet long and 3 feet high, just a small pen hahahaha, on the back end of the pen I connected a hay loft that was made from the cubes and at first I just had it so they could pull the hay down from the loft through the holes in the cube but after I changed it so they could jump up into the loft and eat and lay in the hay, would keep them warm through the winter also. When I decided to find a friend for Candy I wasn't sure if I should get a male or female, go to the pet store or ask around to see if someone had bunny's to give away, then someone said to me go to the S.P.C.A.  I went and asked them if they had any rabbit's and they gave me a number to call and ask about rabbit's. The next day I called the number and talked to a very nice lady and asked her if she knew were I could get a rabbit and she Say's to me well my name is Maurie and I run the Vernon Rabbit Rescue why don't you come over tomorrow and we can meet and talk about getting a friend for Candy. The next day I was excited and nervous at the same time, had no idea what I was in for or the fact that this meeting with Maurie was going to change my life in a big way. We talked about Candy and what kind of pen I had then she gave me the adoption papers that I had to answer questions and sign, stuff like what kind of food will I feed, were will they sleep, have I had rabbit's before and if so what was the reason I no longer had them, I was like gee do they want an arm also lol 
After I read the paper and answer the questions we go out back and look at the rabbits, I think I was in shock at first there was so many cages full of rabbits of all color and ages male and females. The first rabbit she takes out to show me is a very small black male she tells me that the people who had him got mad because he started to spray and threw him outside to fend for himself even though he was a pet store rabbit and had never been outside before, thank goodness a neighbor saw him and called Maurie to come and pick him up, he was a bit of a mess he had some bites and a torn ear from a cat attach but Maurie got him fixed and healed up and ready for adoption. As soon as I picked him up I knew he was the one I wanted he snuggled into my neck right away had me sold right from the first. I named him Theodore got him home and was a bit nervous about Candy meeting him, Maurie said to put them together in a small area so I took them to the bathroom, the first thing I did is put them both in my lap and pet them to rub there scents onto each other then I let them go, the first thing Candy does is mounts him I laughed so hard she showed him who was boss, after that every time she went close to Theodore he bowed in submission or he would start to clean her face so I knew they were going to be just fine. I couldn't wait to take them out to there new pan but that had to wait a few more day's till they got used to each other in a smaller area before tackling the big room also gave me a chance to get to know Theodore who I fell in love with right away. Oh the part about my life changing in a big way well that's another story  soon to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment