Saturday, January 22, 2011

Volunteering

Maurie called me the next day and said that she found a new place for the rabbit's to be homed, for about 4 years she ran the rabbitry from her house but then the city of Vernon allowed the use of some stalls at the race track for the rabbit's, the stalls couldn't be used with the horses because they had cement walls so they were perfect for us. We had to change a few things with the stalls they needed a second half door so when the main stall doors were open they couldn't just hop away, then we took carpet turned it upside down and spiked it to the floor, added some wire around the edges to stop them from digging as best we could but there was always one who figured out how to get to the dirt. We had about 5 stalls fixed up, we had one for younger boy's one for girls one for new surrenders one room for rabbit's that only got along with certain rabbit's and we even had a special needs room, this room was for rabbit's that needed teeth clipped or were older or just for extra flow I called this room the kings room because there was a male rabbit who was all white with a female all white also and his name was bravehart and he was king of the world let me tell ya, I was always the one who would clean his pen if Maurie was busy with something Else I would have to put a dust pan in front of my hand so he couldn't attack me because no one and I mean no one was supposed to be in his house, didn't matter that I was feeding and giving water and carrots ohhh nooo he didn't care that was his house and I was not welcome hahaha..The funny thing is if Maurie took him out of his cage and I held him he was an angel sure he would grunt sometimes but loved to have his ears rubbed, I made Maurie put him back in his cage because I knew if I did as soon as I put him down my hands and my arms were fare game lol. Next I will tell you all the wonderful things I have learned about rabbit's.....

No comments:

Post a Comment