Saturday, January 22, 2011

My life as I know it will never be the same

As I said before when I went to find my bunny a friend I met a lady called Maurie, now I have a hard time meeting new people because of my shall we say screwed up depressed head lol, but as soon as we started to talk I knew we were going to be great friends. Maurie changed my life in more ways then one but let's start at the beginning. While I was at her house getting my rabbit we started to talk about the rabbit rescue, Maurie saw that Vernon had rabbit's running loose and decided that she would take the job of  doing something about it, so she started the rabbit rescue, you see there was a house that these people had a couple rabbit's and moved away and instead of taking them with them they just let them run free, now I'm sure you have heard the expression they breed like rabbits, well yes they did, a female rabbit can have a litter of 1 to 10 babies or more and if the male is not separated they will mate right away and 21 day's later she will have another batch and so on and so on pretty soon you not only have 2 adult rabbit's but 30 or so young rabbit's and the young female rabbit's are ready to mate at 5 months old and the cycle just keeps on going, so then you have all these rabbit's and babies running around town eating whatever they can find and most times it is someones garden and they are not happy about it. So Maurie started trapping the rabbit's, people started to call her and ask her to come and set traps Vernon was over run with these cute bundles of destruction.And so it began she started to trap more and more and as soon as there was a female caught they went to the vets and got spayed right away then they would come to her place for recovery about 5 weeks, after that if they were friendly enough they went out for adoption, sometimes if they were older rabbit's they stayed a bit longer to help get them used to people and there new lives. All the rabbit's were kept at her house she had some outside and some inside in bedrooms kitchen and even the bathroom, the mess from all these rabbit's was huge and she was doing just about all of it herself, she had a friend that would come and help clean once in a while but she did it most of the time herself, well that's were I come in I asked if I could help out with the cleaning and feeding and she said sure she would take all the help I could offer, as I left her place I think she thought oh ya another person saying they want to help but not show up but I was so happy to be able to volunteer I couldn't wait to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment