Sunday, January 23, 2011

Volunteering

The first thing I learned about rabbit's is there can never be enough love lol, my day would go like this, first thing I had to do is get all the cleaning stuff I would need like wheelbarrow, broom, dust pans, shavings, scrapers and so on, then I would usually start at one end of the stalls and work my way down, step up to stall put key in padlock on door and open door wide, count how many bunny's were in the stall to make sure no one got out, then I would open inside door and try my best not to step on a rabbit because even though they got fed the day before as soon as you enter a room they are starving like you hadn't fed them in weeks lol, there could be food in the bowl but that didn't matter it's all omg here comes a human lets attach and show her how deprived we are lol. Usually I would pick up all the litter boxes and food bins and chuck them outside the door, then I would sweep the floor at least 2 times because of course they all want to help clean so they run to a pile of poop and flip it around then look at you like see mom I helped lol, if someone, and they won't tell you who happened to get the rug up and dig as much dirt as they can onto the floor and then spill there water, so now they have a pile of mud well then I would have to scrap the floor and shovel that out. Then  ohh I forgot I also had to pick up all there toys on the floor and make sure none got damaged, I would then step outside and scrap all the boxes into the wheelbarrow  then re line the boxes with paper and shaving's and replace them in the room, then add new hay to the hay bin, add food and clean water and then they were ready for there treats usually some cut up apples and carrots and greens, there favorite in the whole world is dandelions. Then I would close the bolt to the inside door and move on to the next room and repeat, all this took me about 2 hours to do oh and that's not all after I dump the wheelbarrow and put the cleaning things away well then I would take my chair or bucket or whatever I had to sit on and visit each room, sometimes we would have to check for bites or pulled nails or other problems, then if we found anything wrong we had to set up a medical cage and separate the rabbit till it healed or just because it needs a time out, that would happen usually once a week someone would get there fur in a puff and decide they wanted to be king and that would lead to the king of the room to put that rabbit back in her or his place and let me tell you there is a ranking that goes with rabbit's and so help the one who tries to change it, it just is not going to happen, now that isn't to say that the king or queen of the room won't step down and let someone else be the boss then its okay but force it and all heck will break loose lol. After all is done then we would re padlock the stall doors tell them all good night or have a good day and then we could leave. Usually once every couple weeks we would have to trim nails this would happen on a day we had help cleaning or we would do half one day and then the other half another day, if you have one or two rabbit's it's not a big deal but when you have 52 rabbit's with 4 legs and 5 nails on the front paws and 4 on the back let me tell you it's a huge job, sometimes Maurie and I would cut nails at the same time but there are a few that you need 2 people to hold to trim properly. Then after nails were done I would go and check on the mouse traps and visit while Maurie worked with Murphy her rabbit that needed some stretching and massage on his neck because he had tilt head. On day's like that we were at the stalls for 2 or 3 hours depending on how tired we got, Maurie always brought Pepsi to keep us going, That is how the summer months went winter was another deal all together, same kind of cleaning but we also had to bring jugs of water to clean and feed because the water was turned off for winter. When it started to get colder we had to put boards across the roof so we could plastic off the stall rooms to help hold the heat in, the water would freeze over night but rabbit's are very smart they know to drink as soon as the water is brought in before it freezes, in the winter we would go to the stalls 2 times a day to make sure they had water to drink before the night came, some of the rabbit's would chew on the ice after it froze.

No comments:

Post a Comment